Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for casual Health Care Assistants to join the Home Support team in Vancouver as Community Health Workers. Apply today to join our team!
As a Community Health Worker with VCH you will:
- Work under the direction of the health care team to provide home support services to clients.
- Assist clients with varied levels of care, observe, and report significant changes in the client’s presentation.
- Collaborate with the health care team, clients and their caregivers to maximize independence with activities of daily living (ADLs) and instrumental activities of daily living (IADLs).
- Motivate, encourage, and involve clients in their care.
- Provide input and feedback in the care planning process to the health care team.
Education & Experience
- Graduation from a recognized Health Care Assistant Program.
- Current/Active Registration with BC Community Health Worker and Care Aide Registry.
- Valid BC Drivers License. Local travel requires the use of a personal vehicle.
- Experience interacting with persons with dementia, geriatric and/or palliative population will be an asset.
- Ability to communicate in Cantonese and/or Mandarin.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Basic knowledge of client-centered care and promoting independence
- Knowledge and ability to operate mechanical lifts, following safe work procedures
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system.
- Basic knowledge of self-care and motivational support
- Demonstrates correct use of body-mechanics and knowledge of injury prevention.
- Communicates effectively and in a culturally safe manner with client, caregivers and health care team.
- Demonstrates proficiency in verbal, nonverbal, and written skills through a variety of communication methods (e.g. paper and/or electronic chart, telephone and in-person).
- Ability to organize workload priorities within a team environment.
- Ability to take direction from the health care team and clients
- Home management skills.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Knowledge of Gentle Persuasion Approach Techniques (GPA)
- Ability to motivate clients and encourage progression through therapeutic goals
- Ability to respond effectively and appropriate in a workplace setting.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.