BE PART OF VCH'S LATEST REDEVELOPMENT!
The Pearson Dogwood Redevelopment Project will address high priority health care needs through the redevelopment of two older long-term care facilities, George Pearson Centre and Dogwood Lodge. It will also bring together a number of community programs serving South Vancouver to support local residents with a full range of health services and supports. Learn more about the details of the Pearson Dogwood Redevelopment.
We are currently recruiting casual/on-call Food Service Workers and Cooks. Training starts week of March 6 2023.
Artist's rendition of the future of Pearson Dogwood Site (Cambie & West 57th):
As a Cook, you will:
- Under the general supervision and direction of the Manager, Food Services or designate, utilize a variety of cooking methods such as frying, roasting, grilling, steaming, poaching, baking and boiling, prepare items by following established menus, recipes and production requirements for such food products and diet items such as soups, sauces, meats, fish, poultry, desserts.
- Prepare, portion and service food items for patients, residents, clients, cafeteria, and catering as required.
- Carry out responsibilities in accordance with safety standards/practices and health and safety requirements.
Education & Experience
- Graduation from a recognized 12 month program in cooking or an equivalent combination or education, training and experience.
- Food Safe Certificate Level 1.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2023.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.