Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Child and Youth Group Therapist with a Master's Degree in a behavioural science discipline to join the Richmond Mental Health Services team in Richmond, BC. Apply today to join our team!
This position will provide assessment and treatment for children and youth 6 to 19 years of age, and their families, who are affected by serious mental health issues. Services include crisis response and suicide risk assessment interdisciplinary case management, school outreach, and counselling. The clinician’s primary role is to develop and provide group education and therapy sessions.
As a Group Therapist you will:
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary community team to administer day programming and group therapy modules.
- Provide group therapy and psycho-education according to a variety of theoretical models based on target group.
- Evaluate effectiveness of interventions and communicates to the team changes in the condition of the client.
- Review referrals to group therapy and day programming to ensure suitability for treatment; implement client outcome measures to evaluate program and identify opportunities for change.
- Establish, maintain and enhance therapeutic relationships based on respect with client; identify client’s perspective, learning needs and readiness to learn.
- Carry out comprehensive mental health assessments independently or in collaboration with multi-disciplinary team members utilizing recognized therapeutic approaches.
- Collaborate, consult and provide clinical support to colleagues and other service providers for continuity of care, treatment concerns, specialized services and community resource coordination.
- Prepare/maintain client records.
Education & Experience
- Master’s degree in a Behavioural Science.
- Three (3) years’ experience in psychiatric setting providing group therapy to clients who have a variety of mental health disorders and/or concurrent disorders and/or experience providing psychotherapy treatment (such as dialectical behaviour therapy and cognitive therapy) to clients with post traumatic stress disorder or an equivalent combination of post-graduate education, training and experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles of recovery in mental illness.
- Comprehensive theoretical knowledge and clinical understanding of group dynamics and processes.
- Knowledge of mental illness and treatment.
- Knowledge of substance abuse and addictions treatment.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.