Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is looking for a Mental Health Rehabilitation Worker to join our team at Sumac Place in Gibsons, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As a Mental Health Rehabilitaiton Worker at VCH you will:
- Provide support to the recovery of individuals living with severe and persistent mental illnesses who require resources beyond the scope of secondary mental health services due to the intensity, complexity or intractability of their symptoms.
- Provide a variety of day-to-day physical, emotional, and social supports, advocacy, life skills assistance and support to access resources to individuals with complex severe and persistent mental illnesses.
- Work collaboratively with the interdisciplinary team to assist in the development of individualized rehabilitative treatment plans.
- Contribute to the overall evaluation of the client.
- Observe and monitor clients’ progress, symptoms and behavioural changes and report significant observations.
- Establish, maintain and enhance therapeutic relationships based on respect.
- Promote independence for client while supporting them with activities of daily living such as personal care, including bathing, grooming, dressing, oral hygiene, toileting needs, perineal care and incontinence supply changes; community appointments/errands/activities; and meal planning and preparation.
- Assist in maintaining a safe environment for clients and the team.
- Participate in team meetings, engage in team planning and quality improvement activities, and maintain and updates own knowledge.
ABOUT SUMAC PLACE:
Sumac Place is a 28-bed specialized mental health facility located in Gibsons, B.C. It is part of Vancouver Coastal Health’s plan to meet the need for specialized mental health services throughout the region and serves clients from the Sunshine Coast as well as from other locations in the region. Sumac Place serves adult patients with complex mental illness who need further supports in order to optimize their independence and quality of life. Clients are stable and require specialized rehabilitation services as they continue on their recovery journey.
Education & Experience:
- Grade 12, Social Services Diploma, or Certificate from a recognized Health Care Worker educational program, such as Health Care Support Worker Certificate, Certificate in Community Mental Health, Human Service Worker Certificate or Addictions Worker Certificate
- Two (2) years’ experience working in a psychiatric setting with individuals who have complex mental health and addictions issues, or other qualifications determined to be reasonable and relevant to the level of work.
- Successful candidates may be required to successfully complete a Food Safe certification course if applicable to the designated program during their orientation/qualifying period in order to be deemed to have successfully passed their qualifying period.
Knowledge & Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize the work
- Ability to operate related equipment.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.