Come work as a Physiotherapist with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)! Relocation Assistance may be available.
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Physiotherapist - Clinical Mentor to join the team working at Lions Gate Hospital in North Vancouver, BC.
Lions Gate Hospital (LGH) is one of the 4 busiest hospitals in Vancouver, and one of only five Neurosurgery centers in British Columbia. LGH is located in North Vancouver which is internationally known for hiking and skiing trails in the forested mountains.
Bring your enthusiasm and your clinical knowledge to this Physiotherapy Clinical Mentor position that supports the medicine / neurology / neurosurgery portfolio at LGH. You will play an active role mentoring other physiotherapists and supporting their learning needs. As a mentor, you will respond to their immediate questions, provide elbow to elbow support, share your knowledge and wisdom, serve as a role model, motivator and provide guidance where needed.
A successful clinical mentor will consistently exhibit listening skills, excellent communication skills, and leadership skills.
If you are interested in growing your skills by supporting the learning of physiotherapists in this portfolio, please apply.
As a Physiotherapist with VCH you will:
- Participate as a member of an integrated collaborative health care team.
- Assess clients'/residents’ physiotherapy needs, functional abilities and goals, establishing a physiotherapy diagnosis and prognosis, developing and implementing an intervention strategy, evaluating the effectiveness of the intervention, and communicating with the client/family and health care team members.
- Implement physiotherapy care plans, evaluate the effectiveness of the intervention, and communicate with the client/resident/family and health care team members.
- Support the Practice Coordinator and Educator.
- Participate in program development and evaluation, focusing on mentorship and education services.
- Consult, confer, and collaborate with program and team members as well as with the Practice Coordinator in promotion of continuous quality improvement, implementation of interdisciplinary research, and coordination activities required for progressive educational and clinical practice programs.
- As appropriate, facilitate staffing and scheduling activities for the designated client care area by working with the Operations Manager, Practice Coordinator and clerical support staff, and making recommendations for temporary adjustments in clinical assignments based on shifts without backfill and short call and booked leave needs.
Education & Experience
- Degree in Physical Therapy from a recognized program.
- Additional three (3) years’ recent, related experience, including one (1) year's related mentoring, preceptoring, coaching and/or group facilitation experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Current full registration with the College of Physical Therapists of BC (CPTBC).
- Eligible for membership in the Physiotherapy Association of British Columbia (PABC).
Knowledge & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of Physiotherapy theory and practice within a client and family centred model of care.
- Broad knowledge of the CPTBC standards of practice and guidelines for clinical practitioners.
- Broad knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Basic knowledge of evidence-based clinical practice related to designated clinical area(s).
- Basic knowledge of physiotherapy standardized tests and measures.
- Demonstrated ability to promote Indigenous Cultural Safety.
- Demonstrated ability to provide competent and culturally safety care in a variety of settings and with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of clinical practice related to treatment and care of the designated patient/client population.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in a culturally safe and respectful manner, with co-workers, physicians, other health care staff and patients/clients and their circle of care.
- Demonstrated knowledge of adult education principles, methods and tools.
- Demonstrated knowledge of hospital policies, procedures, and standards of care.
- Demonstrated knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Demonstrated knowledge of research methodology and processes.
- Demonstrated ability to function as a team member, resource, motivator and facilitator.
- Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor staff.
- Demonstrated ability to teach, demonstrate techniques and facilitate learning.
- Demonstrated ability to use critical thinking in approach to teaching.
- Demonstrated ability to develop educational programs and material.
- Demonstrated ability to promote a creative learning environment.
- Demonstrated ability to establish workload priorities in collaboration with others.
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective consultation.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in collaboration with others.
- Skill in the use of equipment and in techniques appropriate to designated clinical area.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with and/or guide others in resolution of conflict issues.
- Computer literacy with word processing, spreadsheet and database skills.
- Physical ability to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2023.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.