Come work as a Program Assistant with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) in Mental Health and Substance Use!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Program Assistant with experience in office administration, clerical and reception skills to join the North East Mental Health team in Vancouver, BC. This position will work for Northeast Mental Health Team and other Vancouver Community MHSU sites as relief.
Apply today to join our team!
As a Program Assistant in Mental Health and Substance Use with VCH, you will:
- Transcribe and type a variety of medical dictation and other documentation utilizing various software applications and acts as a receptionist by answering phones, determining urgency of calls and referring to staff.
- Greet clients, provide resource information and respond to various inquires.
- Complie, prepare and maintain statistical records for workload monitoring and program planning.
- Receive referrals, schedule and/or confirm client’s appointments, receive clients and provides information.
- Type material such as correspondence, psychiatric and physician assessments, discharge reports, memos, minutes, promotional material.
- Edit transcribed material for stylistic consistency and accuracy, identify medical and verbal inconsistencies in dictation, make corrections and resolve problems.
Education & Experience
- Grade 12.
- Graduation from an approved program in Medical Transcription and/or Medical Office Administration Certificate, plus one (1) year recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of community, social and mental health resources.
- Knowledge and experience in providing culturally competent support services specifically pertaining to aboriginal people.
- Knowledge and experience in Trauma Informed Practice, Harm Reduction and Recovery Oriented care.
- Ability to work independently and in cooperation with others.
- Ability to organize and prioritize.
- Ability to keyboard 5,000 keystrokes per hour.
- Business writing skills.
- Knowledge of general office procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with clients.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2023.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.