Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse OR Registered Psychiatric Nurse to join the Vancouver Harbourlight Detox team in Vancouver, BC as as Addiction Nurse. This position works out of Harbourlight Detox which is a parternship between the Salvation-Army and VCH located in the Downtown Eastside. Apply today to join our team!
We also have Regular Part Time opportunities available.
As an Addiction Nurse with Vancouver Detox you will:
- Provide direct nursing care and supportive counseling to clients who are in the process of detoxification, stabilization and/or transitioning into other long term care addiction services, working effectively with challenging clients to maintain a safe environment for clients and staff.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary team members, educational resources and other health professionals and care providers from multi-jurisdictional sectors such as housing, justice and/or health to achieve excellence in client-centered care and education.
Harbourlight Detox Centre
Harbourlight Detox is an inpatient WDM program for clients who do not require 24-hour nursing care (medical detox). Located at 119 East Cordova Street on the DTES, Harbourlight is operated by the Salvation Army in partnership with VCH WDM services. Harbourlight clients are supported by VCH nurses and a physician during the day.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Two (2) years’ recent, related experience providing treatment services to individuals with mental health and/or substance use concerns, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Valid BC Driver's License and access to a personal vehicle for business-related purposes.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles of recovery and trauma informed practice.
- Broad knowledge of nursing theory and practice within a client/family-centred model of care.
- Knowledge of BCCNM Standards for Nursing Practice.
- Broad knowledge of substance use and a non-judgmental attitude towards working with clients with problematic substance use through their recovery.
- Demonstrated knowledge of substance use, harm reduction strategies including assessment and intervention, evidence-based pharmacological approaches to substance use treatment and recovery.
- Broad knowledge of community bed-based services, psychosocial and mental health resources available for clients experiencing concerns with their substance use.
- Broad knowledge of behaviour management and ability to utilize non-violent crisis intervention strategies in a trauma informed manner.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the impact of colonization on Indigenous peoples.
- Broad knowledge of facilitation, mediation, and conflict resolution techniques and demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR Techniques.
- Demonstrated case management, teaching/training, clinical support and consultation skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, work independently, and use a cooperative approach to program delivery.
- Ability to operate related equipment including applicable software applications.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2022.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.