Do you want to make a difference? Are you interested in volunteering your medical expertise to improve rural health?
The Tshemba Foundation aims to increase access to health care in under-resourced communities in the northeastern region of South Africa. To further this aim, Tshemba has established a medical volunteering program where doctors offer clinical support to patients in a public hospital and local clinics, and provide education and training to local medical staff.
Tshemba is now appealing to Canadian doctors to help it address a critical health care gap in rural South Africa where doctor shortages are posing substantial challenges to adequate health care. We welcome interest from all potential volunteers; however, the current greatest need in the area is for Family physicians, Obstetricians/Gynaecologists, Paediatricians, Internists and Anesthesiologists.
Volunteers will experience a stimulating and challenging working environment, treat conditions and cases not usually seen in urban areas, and help leave a legacy of improved quality of care by sharing knowledge and skills with local staff who are eager to learn.
Volunteers, and their partners, are given accommodations in a luxurious five-star lodge situated in a “Big 5” conservation area, free of charge, where they can safely rest, relax and take in the peaceful wonders around them.
Doctors who have volunteered with Tshemba tell us that they have been re-energized and transformed by the experience, and their passion for medicine reignited.
If you have any questions or would like to further discuss volunteering your time, please contact us at email@example.com
- In order to practice in South Africa, all volunteers are required to first register with the Health Professionals Council of South Africa (HPCSA).
- We assist volunteers with the registration process with the HPCSA.
- To register, Canadian & U.S. licensed physicians have to provide a number of documents as proof of their training, licensing and professional good standing.
- Currently, placement lengths are flexible.
- We look forward to hosting you whether you can come for a few weeks or a few months.